register to reply

Pasture Mgt. topping the paddokcs  

Robert Reyes

hi everyone, what are your practice  or advise for topping the paddocks. Are you guys doing topping  before or after grazing? And your reasons please. thanks

Rob 

Topic Tags
8 Replies
abbythefarmer

Topping before if the grass is stalky,  topping after grazing if the grass is green and nice. 

I have been farming for five seasons so far, I still don't know what's the best way.

But I know I wish I had the 'double down' topper.  My next door has got one. lucky. 

How about you? and what is your theory?

Abby

1 Reply
Robert Reyes

@abbythefarmer

hi Abby, i do the same topping before when it stalky but i do not topping the entire paddock, only the the worst part

And should be very careful with topping too much as don’t want to reduce my farm cover and some cows don’t like to eat those mowed grass ( don’t know for some reasons its just my observation). 

Thanks. 

Robert Reyes

FayFayFarm

I don't like topping before, I feel it's shortening paddock rotation.  I am changing the blades today, old and rusty.

DairyFarmer

I’ve done pre, post and not topping...

I won’t waste my time or diesel pre topping again simply because I didn’t personally  see any major gains.
I will post top If I’ve made a mistake and quality is becoming an issue, but my preference would be to simply pull a poor quality paddock out of rotation and bale it depending on time of year and weather conditions, 

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

Depends on your way of grazing really.

Often sending the herd back for an hour or two to clean up high residual is far more efficient than post-topping PLUS you don't have to constantly wash the poo off your mower (which causes rust really fast). Best I've learnt;

Pre-top in the hot months of summer if the cows aren't decking the feed, also something that can help is to give them a smaller break in the morning (non-topped) and a much bigger break at night(pre-topped), they'll eat far more in the cooler hours than you'd expect, just don't mow until a couple hours before they go in so the grass does'nt dry out completely.

Post-top only to deck weedy/stalky paddocks and keep best residuals in spring/early summer. By mid summer, just maintaining the quality as much as you can is enough, still mow the odd paddock if your gut tells you to but other than that, i would'nt bother.

Best combo I've found is topping however suits and then running a small mob of bulls or carryovers behind to clean up the edges and eat what's been left by the mower. Depends on everything from time and labour to how much excess grass we're talking really.

Food for thought.

WaMoo

I don't washed the mower unless the weather is too dry (I don't want to burn paddock)

It's just because I am lazy, I feel bad that I am not washing the poo off regularly.

but I happen to be doing the right thing. haha. Good info!

Anna
 Anna
Admin

my cows are very picky,  many of them don't eat mowed grass if it's stalky. I definitely noticed.

and they yell and scream if I give them hay when drying off. very picky. maybe I spoiled them too much.

Jason

I only post top the stalky paddocks to maintain the quality. That's it.

register to reply