register to reply
Notifications
Clear all

First time milking, Any Tips?  

Page 1 / 2

Tom
 Tom

milking next week. It is my first time and I am very nervous.

Topic Tags
16 Replies
snozy86

Rotary or herringbone?

1 Reply
Mamatntk20

@snozy86

I prefer herringbone as that’s what I’m familiar with since I was a child however I’d love to have a go at rotary.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

You just have to learn by doing it.

Don't get kicked and good luck!

Habib chaabna

Daaammn i miss that i used to milk my cow manually it's a pleasure .

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

Don't try to be fast. Just listen to what your told and focus on doing it. Try not to put your head below the bars if its a herringbone. Most of your mistakes will come from rushing, slow and steady until you can do it without looking at the teats is a good plan to start.

Tom
 Tom

I don't know man, my boss wants me to do quicker. Maybe I am a slow learner that I didn't know. I'm still nervous. Maybe it's not for me, will see. Thanks for your support, I will leave a better post next time. Thank you all.

2 Replies
Farmerjo355

Trusted Member

@tom

Being quick at it comes with experience... you're better off not trying to rush until you get the hang of it. Its far better to lose 10 minutes from slow cupping than an hour trying to pull a glove from the plate cooler or waiting for a milk test because you were too rushed to notice a peno slipped into the herd. But good luck! I wish you all the best!

Ahuwhenua

@tom

Firstly when cupping cows the important thing to remember is relax don't tense up cows feel your intensity more than you'll know, Secondly hold the cups in a way that it will be easy to grab the cup to put onto the teat, Thirdly feel and touch for the teat with the index finger while holding the cup to slip the teat into the cup if you feel the need to look grasshopper it's a quick glance look too long an cow put foot in mouth not good 1] relax 2]hold correctly 3]feel and touch, the secret to blind cupping.

Some people like to do 2 front teats first then 2 back

Some people like to do 2 on the left then 2 on the right

Find a way that suites you and what you feel comfortable with in other words there's no right or wrong way to cup a cow.

WaMoo

oh, it's not good. 

I really hope things get better soon.

Mugera. M jobseeker
Trusted Member

When pushing cows to and from parlour/shade, use 45°Angle technique to avoid being kicked, remember most cows kick from behind.

Try to identify hazards inside parlour, slippery floors, iodine is not good on skin, if your employer allows gloves use them. I remember when it peeled off my finger prints for one year I was in parlour.

Know safety no pain, no safety know pain. All the best.

young farmer
Posted by: @mugera-jobseeker

Know safety no pain, no safety know pain

so true

Mamatntk20

I can remember as a child I used to be scared of being down in the herringbone even with my uncle by my side. I gained more confidence by staying calm around the cows and noticed that if I was calm, they were calm.

When I had enough confidence to milk them I was slow but my uncle encouraged me to use my hands rather than my eyes to guide the cups on the teats. I eventually picked up speed and could confidently milk without him being around all the time. Learning to milk took time but it was worth it!

Page 1 / 2
register to reply