register to reply

Contract Milking / Share Milking  

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

Looking to contract milk next season,  any advice?

Anything I should look out for red flag wise?

Cheers

7 Replies
Masato N

You want to make sure which cost is on which side.In my experience the contract milker takes the shed cost(electricity,rubber ware,detergents),petrol and the milk penalty if it happened.Speaking about the penalty,I remember that one of my ex-contract farms had an old reverse-flow plant washing system which only pushes the washing liquid back to the cups hung on the pit wall to discard.No circulation,it was so hard to keep up the current hygiene standard,I had to scrub the inside with the pipe brush like every week especially in the summer but still got some demerit points.I had to pay for that even though it's caused by the structure of the plant,the agreement was the agreement.So I recommend you to have a good look at where you are working on for another whole year when you go to the job interview,talk to the employer to make things clear as much as you can before taking the job.Good luck!

Anna
 Anna
Admin

I will be writing sharemilking contract next year. I know it's supposed to be very complicated. If it's not done right, it can cause a lot of problems. 

Any tips or advice?? 

Cheers.

Anna.

Cows n Grass

Suggest get a Fed Farmers agreement.  Fill it in as it is set out.  Add an addendum of extra conditions if needed.  Get professional help if needed.

3 Replies
Anna
 Anna
Admin

@cows-n-grass

Is it true that there used to be negotiators for sharemilking contract in the past? 

Cows n Grass

@lizard9569gmail-com

Yes - these still exist.  Typically these are farm consultants - firms like FarmWise etc have experienced people to help negotiate the contract.  And to make sure it is fair and that neither party is taken advantage of.  There is nothing worse than working for a whole year and making less money than if you were on wages.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

@cows-n-grass

My mother-in-law told me about this 'negotiator' the other day and I thought it's such a cool job.! 

Now farm advisors are doing it, It makes sense.

Grant Leigh FarmWise

I would sugest getting some help and if it is not a Farmwise or fed farmers contract I would be reluctant to sign. Insure the contract is filled out correctly and that there is a farm policy attached and signed as well. You need to be sure you are payed for your time and that you can competently do the job. There is always alot to consider  and understand. Get some help please don't just sign up, no matter how much  you want the job. 

register to reply