register to reply

big udder, slow milker  

Anna
 Anna
Admin

Do I milk her out? or just milk her half so she doesn't have to slow down everyone.

I have been milking thousand times, I should know how to deal with slow milkers by now.

But still not sure what's the best for the cow. too much milk.

Can you train cows to milk faster? : ) just a thought.

Topic Tags
7 Replies
Mugera. M jobseeker
Trusted Member

If you milk her half and continue doing the same, milk may clump affect the under and get mastitis, how is your milking order? Does her belong in the first order? If yes , and your parlour is double sided, how do you see if you use one side to milk other cows and the other to empty that girl. Or else put her in last milking order so that can be the last and thoroughly milked.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

we do cup her first, but still too much.

I cannot milk her out because we cannot make everyone else waiting for her to finish. 

I might have to draft her soon, better stay with the lame mob. 

young farmer
Posted by: @mugera-jobseeker

If you milk her half and continue doing the same, milk may clump affect the under and get mastitis,

True that. better to leave her with the lame mob if you have, so you can take time.

Is she old?

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

I came across a cow like this recently and just put her on once a day for a week or so and then back to twice a day. Reduced her production slightly so she milked out roughly the same time as the others. Alternatively just milk her then draft her out and milk her again in the last row

2 Replies
Anna
 Anna
Admin

@farmerjo355

I milk her in the last row nowadays. Thanks for your advice! It works.

Are you still milking twice a day? Our guys are slowing down already..

Farmerjo355

Trusted Member

@lizard9569gmail-com

Yeah we're still twice a day year round. Just starting to feed out bales which is a weird one because we have so much grass in front of us but there's just no ME to it.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

I think it is actually a good idea to draft her out and milk her in the last row. never thought about doing that way.

register to reply