register to reply

Reflection  

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

A few of my neighbours and I get together every couple of days at the cowshed of whoevers tanker hasnt arrived yet and have a wee coffee club (because our wives no longer let us get hammered on a thursday night and drag race the side by sides). It's a good time to chat and just catch up on life, ask for help during the week or just be with other people (some days farming can get a tad too lonesome I must admit).

This often leads to discussions of various things and I thought I'd pass it onto y'all;

Getting to be that time of the year when things slow down a bit. Calving and mating are pretty much done, weeds are relatively under control, workers are going on holiday or maybe the boss is.

What are some of the things that you guys did or will do next time to stay sane and alive during the hell months of calving and mating? Do you keep coffee and lollies at the shed? Fake sick days to go and sleep? Just dig in and bear it until you can get home and crawl into bed? Im curious.

For me, my farm owner bribed me to do all the night checks during calving with a box of speights every couple of days, which made it to the end of the pit in the afternoon milkings. Needless to say, afternoon milkings were pretty relaxing at the end of the day which made it all a lot easier. But i definitely had to make milking the last job of the day as i stumbled my way home with the dogs  in toe (pretty sure they were just as smashed).

3 Replies
Jason

Looks like you have your own discussion group over there. It would be nice if I could join after milking too but I'm probably too far🤪 . I go to rd1 for barbecue for farm chit chat 

2 Replies
Farmerjo355

Trusted Member

@jason

I didn't even know RD1 did that... I will have to investigate...

Anna
 Anna
Admin

@farmerjo355

Winton does once a month, could be less.

I'm pretty sure they do it quite often.

register to reply