register to reply
How Many Weeks Do Y...

[Sticky] How Many Weeks Do You Feed Your Calves?  

Page 1 / 2

Anna
 Anna
Admin

Last four seasons, I fed 12 weeks. 

This year, only 8weeks. 

I know some people do less than 4 weeks (read from US dairy forum). 

Topic Tags
22 Replies
Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

Generally 12 weeks or 100kg liveweight, whichever comes first. Lots of variables to consider though. Breeding for one, I wean my jersey calves at 75kg-ish but a set baseline would be 12 weeks 🙂

Anna
 Anna
Admin

Even though I slowly reduced, these calves calling me all sorts of names, asking me why only 8 weeks.! Hard to walk past these guys. maybe I didn't do it right. I know people do 8 weeks with a proper meal intake. I would love to know that magic.

1 Reply
Mugera. M jobseeker

Trusted Member

@lizard9569gmail-com

To me I see feeds intakes help much to reduce wastes and cost of doing business. 

Anna, would you check if this example can help you to develop one that will suit your feeding needs depending on your weaning target percentage, weaning duration, daily weight gain, and offmilk day target.

You can say; 

From day 1 to 7days will give 2litres.

From day 8 to 16 days will give 2.5 litres.

From day 17 to 50days will give 3.5 litres

From day 51 to 53 will give 3 litres.

Like that, as they continue to grow you reduce milk till they reach off milk day and stay now only on concentrates or other feeds till your weaning days.

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

Yeah well ideally we'd all do it based on the individual calfs rumin but unfortunately it's just too time consuming for most of us so a good general rule is that by the time each calf can consume 2kg of meal per day, they are ready to wean with a healthy rumin. My two house calves are weaned today and they are 65kg but eating 2kg of meal each and 2 kg of fiber suppliment each per day. A bit lighter than I'd hooe but they've lost interest in milk entirely

3 Replies
FarmerJack

@farmerjo355

what do you mean two house calves? are they your pet? should upload a photo of them. must be cute.

Farmerjo355

Trusted Member

@farmerjack

I keep 2 calves on my house section during spring so i dont have to mow my lawns. With all the extra workload during calving and mating, its just one less thing to have to stress about. I can feed calves, but convincing myself to mow lawns after work is not often easy. They're not super cute actually, this year its a couple of jersey bulls that got sick off milk powder and had to be held back from the main mobs.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

@farmerjo355

They are not pugging your lawn? I guess they are too light to do that.

A couple of years ago, one cold rainy night, three carryovers broke into my lawn. (I live on the runoff). I could not kick them out. It was too cold.

The next morning I found the lawn all pugged like no tomorrow, no mercy.  They cleaned all my trees though. nice and tidy, but I had to put up with an ugly lawn for a long time.

WaMoo

Normally 10 weeks plus 10 days slowing down here.

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

Nah they havent pugged the lawn yet though my herb garden has been turned over for me quite nicely. One less job to do this week 🙂

WaMoo

Haha , the two calves turend over your herb garden. How cute. 

Mugera. M jobseeker
Trusted Member

Feeding calves is so costly, it requires you to have proper intakes that will help you achieve daily body weight while minimising costs.

Here, calves are fed milk 8 weeks and 3days, concetrates for 71 days.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

I fed for 8 weeks this year, but for me, it's too short. I am going back to 12 weeks.

I am a soft touch. 

NZCOWMAN

We normally them them for 14weeks + 1 week slow down. = 15 weeks.  

Page 1 / 2
register to reply