register to reply

Navel Infection  

Dan Hofer

I really don't want call the vet for calf navel infection. How do you treat?

Topic Tags
8 Replies
WaMoo

I normally get the vet to check and treat them when we do disbudding.  When is your next schedule for dehorning? If she's not too bad, I would wait.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

give her intracillin if she's infected. I assume she is a heifer. 

Joshua
You can give 5ml of Betamax,
48 hours later, give another 5ml
Feel on the fourth day, if it’s still hard, go for a 3rd treatment.
Lead Cow

I had a calf died from naval infection before.  If its a replacemet, do not delay and give the proper treatment as soon as you can. 

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

Penicillin for a navel infection. Emgimycin is a good go to but any white penicillin should do the trick. 5ml is a pretty standard calf dose.

If it were me, I'd start a treatment of 5ml Penicillin per day for 3 days and then wait for another 3 days. If it hasnt gone down, vet time. Procaine Penicillin is what I'm using this season and it works so far.

Best of luck!

Dan Hofer

This poor calf died. Maybe I treated her too late. she was the youngest calf and couldn't compete well. I think she was stressed a lot.

It is my fault. hope she didn't suffer too much.

1 Reply
Farmerjo355

Trusted Member

@dan-hofer

Hey Dan. It happens, don't beat yourself up too much, we've all been there. In future, if you notice a calf that looks weak or sick like that,  best start is to seperate it straight away so that it doesnt have to compete for food and then assess it from there. Sorry about your calf bud

Mugera. M jobseeker
Trusted Member

To avoid navel infection, as soon as the calf is born, spray iodine onto navel thoroughly. there are some cases when navel gushout blood, tie it with clean string firmly to stop it from bleeding and attracting bacteria

Solution to navel infection is to dip the navel into iodine for some good days and giving calf penstrep and ketoprofen for 3 to 5 days. It works for me.

register to reply