register to reply
Poor teat condition...

Poor teat condition with mastitis problem.  

NZCOWMAN

Some old cows teat conditions are not getting better since calving.

I am using teat guard plus iodine. What would be the best alternative teat spray?

Cheers

Topic Tags
6 Replies
Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

Hibitane is pretty good but you'd want to add glycerin. Otherwise Deosans' TeatX is pretty mint

Anna
 Anna
Admin

Spray TeatX before cupping, it helps and you don't get a grade from doing it.

Mugera. M jobseeker
Trusted Member

Please have you tried to get milk samples from that teat and have it investigated in lab to know kind of pathogens it may be having.

More so try antibiotics synulox 2 to 3 days, if no improvement go for cobactan. That teat will be okay.

Ahuwhenua

I use Teat guard as well and some of these old girls had really dry scabby unpleasant teats always sucking air not milking out right at the start of calving. I didn't add any emollient I just lifted the amount of teat guard I used from 1 to 9 to 3 to nine it help with teat condition  and mastitis at that rate you use 15% more emollient rather than 5% and should kill mastitis 2 minutes after contact remembering tho when you teat spray the girls have the teat spray dripping off the teat try not to have a misty spray have the end of the spray spray to a solid 2 inches so to get good contact on the teats.

Teat condition now is great and haven't had any mastitis since the end of calving right up till now touch wood and I only spray in the mornings since December. When you start to see a difference in teat condition start bring it back till 1 & 1/2 to 9 that's what I'm on at the moment. 

NZCOWMAN
Posted by: @ahuwhenua

some of these old girls had really dry scabby unpleasant teats always sucking air

Im sorry, can you tell me what 'sucking air' means? Thx!!

1 Reply
Ahuwhenua

@nzcowman

Because the teat is dry and crinkly when the cup is sucking the teat it sucks air thru the dryness and crinkles around the teat sucking air as well as the teat which sounds likes someone farting excuse the expression.  

register to reply