register to reply

[Sticky] Mastitis  

Page 1 / 2

George203

I've treated this cow with penclox after 1st 2nd round still Cme bck with mastitis of penclox do I change the drug to an weaker one such as orbeining

Topic Tags
22 Replies
brownbrown

Is there any treatment for black mastitis?

4 Replies
Ahuwhenua

@brownbrown

Try this for black mastitis apple cider vinegar with manuka honey and Garlic you can buy 5ltr containers of it at farm source, pgg wrightsons, farmlands. ORAL DRENCH HER WITH IT 250MLS twice a day morning and night for 5 days see what happens.Has to be apple cider vinegar with manuka honey and Garlic.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

@ahuwhenua

vinegar, honey and garlic? How does that help mastitis? and Can I have the name for the oral drench?

extremely interesting.

Ahuwhenua

@lizard9569gmail-com

All natural antibiotics that break down the tissue & inflammation that causes clinical mastitis I found even Black mastitis, if bugs are getting immune to drugs an alternative I feel then use both drugs then Apple cider with honey and garlic  you have to try it to believe it if it doesn't work nothing lost nothing gained,if it does work thank me later.   

Anna
 Anna
Admin

@ahuwhenua

Wow, They are natural antibiotics!! 

100% give it a try. It makes sense.  

Thx!

Anna
 Anna
Admin

I don't believe there is any treatment for black mastitis. You might have to let her go before she suffers too much.

Joshua

Can not treat black mastitis.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

I just asked a vet, this is the reply I got about black mastitis. Hope this helps.

“Black mastitis” is a term used to describe an udder that has become gangrenous. This happens when a cow has a severe case of clinical mastitis (usually caused by Staphylococcus aureus), and the blood supply to the mammary tissue is compromised, resulting in the mammary tissue becoming necrotic (similar process to severe frostbite).

There is no treatment for “black mastitis”. The likely outcome is toxaemia (blood poisoning) and a dead cow, therefore the recommended treatment in most cases is euthanasia. It may be possible in certain cases to save the cow, though the affected quarter will likely slough off; however, examination of the cow and udder by a veterinarian should be undertaken before considering any other treatment options.

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

If it's a heifer, you can dry her off straight away and there's a 50/50 chance of saving the udder or having a 3 titter. Cows are more like an 80/20 chance, more likely to have the quarter blow out regardless and still probably going to lose the cow.

If its a heifer, dry her off straight away and keep an eye on her for greater infection.

If a cow, put the poor girl down.

Anna
 Anna
Admin

I only use intracillin.

I wonder what's the difference between penclox and intracillin.

Farmerjo355
Trusted Member

Is it the usual spotty white mastitis or chucky yellow or just watery?

Leave it a couple days before changing drug, orbenin L.A might help but if it's not taking a hit with Penclox then it's unlikely. Maybe a different strain of antibiotic if you have one, Mastalone perhaps?

young farmer

If after 3 tubes at 24-hour intervals (the standard course of treatment) mastitis is still present, an extended treatment of 4, 5, or 6 syringes at 24-hour intervals may be given, with the on-label withholding periods still applicable. 

penclox contains both penicillin (the same active as is in INTRACILLIN MILKING COW) and cloxacillin (the same active as is in orbenin LA) so a switch to orbenin LA is unlikely to initiate a different response.

1 Reply
Vlado

Hello @young-farmer

Interesting to learn that 3 tubes didn't do the work. 

Could you please let me which product did you use - Penclox 1200 or Orbenin LA and now how much did it cost you per package and how many tubes were there in the package?

I want to compare the treatment and efficacy cost so I can decide which product to use on my heard.

Best,

Vlado

Lancenorthland

Have had a older cow with black mastitis.saught vet advice. Cow given antibiotics she lost one quarter but she still milking as a 3 Twitter.

1 Reply
Anna
 Anna
Admin

@lancenorthland

had 3 black mastitis over 5 years,,i think.,, I let all of them go without much treatment. maybe I could have saved at least one.

Page 1 / 2
register to reply